Double page spread article transcript

Get to know ... Cali

With psychedelic melodies and dream-like beats, Cali is taking the shoegaze scene by storm

Hey, how's the recent uk tour going?
- amazing! I started in my hometown of Sutton Coldfield in a local pub, and I've played venues as small as people's spare rooms to  3000 capacity rooms, it's been pretty surreal! I've had quite a bit of support in some cities, with fans waiting all day to see me and even buy me presents!

Sounds hectic, how do you cope with  mistakes during performances?
- every performance is different, so every mistake is just a unique twist on the gig! I love performing, from small pubs to big venues, it's always amazing to see fans and they don't notice tiny mistakes so I don't bother stressing! One of my favourite artists, David Bowie, once said that mistakes do not ruin a performance, they make them special, and this is something I strongly agree with

Talking about Bowie, who was ur biggest influence growing up?
- well my dad got me my first record at 10, and embartasingly it was a spice girl compilation, but I fell in love! I love their style and poppy music, and despite it being completely different to my style, I idolise it so much! I'd have to say they're my inspiration, I even have a tattoo of their lyrics

We didn't know you were inked, what are they?
- I have a few tattoos ive gotten the past few years, the spice girl one is wannabee lyrics, I have a hamsa hand on my back to represent peace, and a little paw print so my kittens always with me, and I'm definitely hoping to get more soon!
Apart from the uk tour and maybe new tats, what else are you up to this year, any festivals?
- I have been nominated to play the small stages of a few big festivals, and hopefully with the support of my fans I can play most of them! I have a definite spot on the BBC introducing stage at greenman, which will be incredible and with luck get my name out there.

Are you working on any new tracks?
- I'm always working on new things, I'll just write anything that comes into my head in my notebook, whether I'm on. Walk, travelling to work or setting up a show, it makes writing fun and relatable



Comments

Popular Posts